Most commercial lip balms contain petroleum products, artificial colors and flavours, and are loaded with preservatives. Applying these to your lips is as good as eating these ingredients. Thankfully, lip balm is simple and cheap to make. You can make it with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, or at the very least, that you can find fairly easily in natural foods stores. With pure, all natural ingredients these lip balms are effective and safe, and they make fantastic little gifts!
- 0.2 oz. shea butter (or cocoa butter or coconut oil etc.)
- 0.2 oz. sweet almond oil (or grapeseed oil or avocado oil etc.)
- 0.2 oz. beeswax
- 15 drops essential oil
- 15 drops vitamin E oil or one capsule.
- Combine all ingredients except essential oil in a small sauce pan or double boiler and melt, on low heat. Stir just until melted. Do not allow the ingredients to boil!
- Stir in essential oil.
- Pour immediately into lip balm container.
- Allow to cool before moving. Cap and use! Or gift!